The World Transformed is a free festival of politics, art, music, culture and community taking place in Liverpool alongside the Labour Party conference from 24-27 September 2016. We are running a workshop on debt on the Tuesday of the festival.
Tuesday 27 September 2016
The Black-e Liverpool
1 Great George Street
Debt touches every part of life – from personal credit card debt and student debt, to the debts crippling our hospitals and local authorities, to the internationals debts that are used as a weapon of control over countries like Greece and Mozambique.
Come and hear stories of the crisis and injustice of debt here in the UK and in countries across the globe. Learn about how debt is used as a weapon of control, and about how defeating the power of debt is essential if we are to build a fairer, more democratic, more just world.
You’ll be invited to contribute your ideas: what are the biggest debt injustices we need to tackle here in the UK, how we can free ourselves from the chains of debt, and how can movements work together for economic justice?
- Malia Bouattia – President, National Union of Students
- Marina Prentoulis – Political theorist, University of East Anglia, and Syriza London
- Humberto Zaqueu – Senior Economist, Mozambique Debt Group
- Sam Semoff – Activist, Keep Our NHS Public Merseyside
- Sarah-Jayne Clifton – Director, Jubilee Debt Campaign